Friday, October 25, 2013

Vanilla Pancakes

This morning both of my kids were out of school so I decided to make pancakes!  This is the recipe my mom made when I was growing up and it is very versatile.  She used to use buttermilk (which I have done before as well) but today I used vanilla almond milk and I added vanilla extract which is not in the original recipe to drive the flavor home.  I used all purpose flour today because my kids don't always like the texture of whole wheat flour but if you have whole wheat, white whole wheat or even gluten free flour feel free to substitute it for all purpose!  This would also be delicious with bananas or blueberries mixed in!  Please pardon my uber boring picture, it was taken after the eating occurred when I thought "I should share this on my blog"!  Enjoy!

Vanilla Pancakes (Shelly Redmond)


2 c. flour (I used all purpose but you could use white whole wheat, whole wheat or gluten free!)
2 c. vanilla almond milk (you could also use buttermilk or skim milk)
2 eggs
2 T. sugar
1 t. salt
4 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
2 t. vanilla extract
3 T. butter (for cooking)

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and whisk to combine.  Using a 1/4 c. measuring cup, spoon the pancakes onto a preheated griddle pan or electric skillet and cook until the top is bubbly.  Flip and continue cooking for 1-2 more minutes or until the pancakes are cooked through and golden brown.  Serve topped with your favorite syrup!

Makes 14 pancakes (113 calories each pancake) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: