Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Pumpkin, Poblano and Black Bean Tacos

Last weekend my husband and I took our kids to the pumpkin patch and, when we were in the car he said, "wouldn't it be fun to have pumpkin tacos"?  I think he meant tacos with chunks of pumpkin (which, frankly, sounded gross to me) but my immediate reaction was "challenge accepted" - we're competitive like that!  Well, I went online and, lo and behold, I found a recipe and it was delicious!  Enjoy!

Pumpkin, Poblano and Black Bean Tacos (adapted from dawnjacksonblatner.com)

For the tacos:


1 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 large poblano peppers, cut in strips
1/2 t. chili powder
1/4 t. cumin
1 c. pumpkin puree
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
Salt and pepper to taste
Flour or corn tortillas for serving
Radish slaw, recipe follows
Queso fresco cheese, for serving

For the Radish Slaw:

2 c. shredded radish (I used my food processor)
1/2 c. cilantro, chopped
1 lime, juiced

For the tacos:


Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, and saute the poblanos, chili powder and cumin for 2 minutes.  Add the pumpkin, beans, salt and pepper and saute another 
3-5 minutes until heat heated through.  

For the slaw:

Combine the radishes, cilantro and lime juice and toss to combine.

Spoon about 1/4 c. of the warm pumpkin mixture onto a tortilla and top with the radish slaw and cheese.  

8 tacos (89 calories each taco) according to my calculator on loseit.com (this does not include the tortillas and cheese, just the filling and the slaw)

No comments: