Thursday, November 14, 2013

Cranberry and Fig Compote

A few years ago, when I was hosting Thanksgiving for the first time, I set out on a search for a really good cranberry sauce.  I wanted to avoid the canned blob that I find repulsive (forgive me if I offend) and make something homemade.  I had to try a couple before I found the right one but, for me, this is perfect!  I like my cranberry sauce free of nuts and apples so it wasn't easy to find the right one.  I also like the tartness of the cranberries to shine through with just a hint of sweetness.  This one uses fresh cranberries, dried figs and a little bit of honey.  It is so good!  As an added bonus it is easy and it tastes delicious leftover with a little plain Greek yogurt.  The only breakfast you really need the day after Thanksgiving!  It would also be a really great topping for pancakes or waffles!  I hope you enjoy.

Cranberry and Fig Compote (adapted from realsimple.com)

1 (12 oz.) bag fresh cranberries
5 oz. dried Mission figs, coarsely chopped
1/3 c. honey
1/4 c. water
2 cardamom pods (or 1/4 t. ground cardamom)
1/4 t. kosher salt

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally for 6-8 minutes until the cranberries begin to pop and the compote becomes thick. Let cool.  Serve at room temperature.  

I have always made this a day or two ahead and set it out Thanksgiving morning to come to room temperature.  Isn't it cute in my pink antique bowl that belonged to my grandma?!

8 servings (118 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: