Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Italian Chicken Sandwiches

There are many versions of this sandwich floating around the internet (most made with beef, not chicken) but the best one I've found so far is from my friend and neighbor, Paula (hi, Paula!)  Now folks, I LOVE the beef version of this sandwich but sometimes I don't want all the extra calories associated with beef, especially chuck roast which, in my opinion, is the best choice of meat for this sandwich (plus the calories of the uber delicious crusty bread you serve this thing on).  So, I got to thinking, why couldn't I make a version of this with boneless, skinless chicken breasts and serve it in the same way?  Behold, the Italian Chicken Sandwich!  Now, if you are a purist, please feel free to use beef and beef broth (instead of chicken and chicken broth) and make it the same way but, I submit that this sandwich is just as good and will not leave you with a guilt trip!  I added roasted red pepper to mine because I had some in my pantry but you could leave them off too.  I would recommend adding extra banana pepper rings because the uncooked ones taste different than the ones you add to the meat as it cooks and it adds a nice tangy bite!  Enjoy!

Italian Chicken Sandwiches (adapted from my friend Paula's recipe)

2-3 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast (I used 2 lb., if you use 3 lb. there will be plenty of seasoning and it will make enough for 3 additional sandwiches)
1 packet zesty Italian salad dressing mix (such as Good Seasons or make your own)
1 packet dry onion soup mix (such as Lipton)
1 (14 1/2 oz.) can low sodium chicken broth
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. black pepper
1/2 t. garlic powder
1 (14 oz.) jar pepperoncini pepper rings 
1 T. juice from pepper jar
6 crusty hoagie rolls, split
Provolone or mozzarella cheese slices (I used low fat)
Roasted red pepper strips, if desired

Place chicken, Italian dressing mix, dry onion soup mix, chicken broth, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, half of the pepperoncini pepper rings (reserving the other half for topping the sandwiches) and juice from pepper jar in a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 2-4 hours.  Shred the meat with two forks and serve on crusty rolls with provolone cheese, extra pepper rings and roasted red peppers (if desired).

6 servings (225 calories each serving not including the rolls and cheese) according to my calculator on loseit.com

NOTE:  I served this with a caesar salad!


No comments: