Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Cocktail Sauce

In my book there is not a better appetizer than shrimp with cocktail sauce.  Anytime I serve it, it is the first thing to go.  The problem is, the store bought cocktail sauce rarely has enough flavor (or horseradish-y heat) for my taste.  I like my cocktail sauce with a real zing to it!  Please enjoy this simple (and zingy) cocktail sauce next time you have shrimp cocktail.  I promise it comes together in five minutes and you will never buy the bottled stuff again!

Cocktail Sauce (adapted from foodnetwork.com)

1/2 c. chili sauce (I used Heinz)
1/2 c. ketchup
3 T. prepared horseradish (I used Inglehoffer - you may want to start with 2 T. and work up from there)
2 t. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 t. worcestershire sauce
1/4 t. hot sauce (I used Frank's red hot)

Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl and serve with shrimp!

Makes 8 servings (2 T. each serving at 46 calories each not including the shrimp) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: