Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Crock Pot Pork and Black Bean Mole

I have never been a traditionalist.  Well, I am in some ways.  Like when it comes to weddings, or writing thank you notes, or RSVP'ing to parties.  But don't get me started.  Ahem. Let’s just say I have never been a purist or traditionalist when it comes to certain aspects of food. I just love food with great flavor and I hope we have that in common! Traditional Mexican mole (pronounced moh-lay, like guacamole) sauce is an extremely complicated concoction.  Several kinds of chiles, spices, dried fruit, Mexican chocolate and lard (yes, lard) mixed together in a sauce that takes several hours to make and simmer which is then served (traditionally) over chicken. Okay, so this "mole" dish today is made with pork loin, black beans and reduced sodium chicken broth BUT I did buy the Mexican chocolate so, while it's outside of the box, it's still traditional in some ways.  And, it's about one of the most delicious things I've ever put in my mouth so, if you're opposed to calling it mole, then just call it pork and black bean chili and get to the store to buy the ingredients.  You know you want to and you can thank me later.

Crock Pot Pork and Black Bean Mole (adapted from the Kansas City Star, January 15, 2014)

1 yellow onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1 lb. boneless pork loin, cut in 1/2" pieces
2 T. tomato paste
1 c. reduced sodium chicken broth
1 T. chili powder
1/2 t. cumin
1 oz. Mexican chocolate, chopped (can use bittersweet chocolate)
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 T. cilantro, chopped (plus extra for garnish, if desired)
2 c. instant brown rice, cooked according to package directions (for serving)

Spray a 4 qt. crock pot with cooking spray and add the onion, garlic, jalapeno, pork, tomato paste, chicken broth, chili powder, cumin, chocolate, black beans and cilantro and stir to combine.  Cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2-4 hours.  Serve over brown rice and garnish with extra cilantro if desired.  

4 servings (466 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: