Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Mexican Pulled Beef with Kale

I am in love.  With this recipe.  Is that possible?  Because if it is, I am.  Let me start by saying, as most of you know, we eat Mexican food at least once a week at my house.  It's something everyone can agree on, it's generally simple to make and you can make a lot and have leftovers for lunch the next day.  This recipe is all that and more!  If you are looking for an easy way to sneak some veggies (in the form of kale and mushrooms) into your food, this is it.  I promise, no one will know they are there!  If you are looking for a taco recipe that will feed a crowd, this is it.  If you just want a dang delicious taco recipe, OH MY GOSH THIS IS IT!  I need to calm down.  The great thing about this recipe (there are so many great things) is you can put it together in the crock pot the day before or the morning of, set it on low and let it cook all day and you have the best tacos you have ever eaten!  Serve it with the avocado lime sauce and you will be a hero!  I hope you enjoy it and please don't leave the veggies out!

Mexican Pulled Beef with Kale (adapted from divinehealthfromtheinsideout.com)

For the beef:


2 lb. beef chuck roast 
2 T. cumin
2 t. chili powder 
2 t. coriander
2 t. salt
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
1 large yellow onion, sliced
1 c. low sodium beef broth
8 garlic cloves, left whole
1 jalapeno, deseeded and minced
Zest of 1 lime
1 bunch kale, thinly sliced (I actually stuck mine in the food processor and whizzed it up so it would be small and undetectable.  I'm clever like that.)

For the sauce:

2 ripe avocados
Juice of 1 lime
1/4 c. cilantro
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

For the beef:

Place the roast in a 6 qt. slow cooker that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  Combine the cumin, chili powder, coriander and salt in a small bowl then sprinkle evenly over both sides of the beef.  Add the tomato paste, mushrooms, onion, beef broth, garlic, jalapeno and lime zest on top and cook on low for 6-8 hours.  One hour before serving add in the thinly sliced kale (since I did mine in the food processor and it was teeny tiny I added it half an hour before serving.)  Shred the beef with two forks and stir well so all ingredients are combined.  

For the sauce:

Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine until the mixture is smooth.  Store in a bowl in the refrigerator until ready to serve.  I like to cover mine with plastic wrap (right on top of the sauce) to keep it green.

Serve beef in tortillas of your choice with cilantro, cheese and avocado lime sauce.  Alternatively, you could serve over greens or rice.  I served this with my Chipotle Style Rice.

16 servings (168 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com (this is for the beef and avocado lime sauce only - other toppings and tortillas are extra!)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your tortilla looks yummy! What kind is it? Did you use fresh mushrooms? Can't wait to make this.

Shel said...

It is La Tortilla Factory brand and "fiesta" flavor. So good Angie! Really good as sandwich wraps too. I did use fresh mushrooms. :)

Unknown said...

In my crock pot ready for tomorrow! Can't wait.