Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Roasted Shrimp Enchiladas with Jalapeno Cream Sauce

Now, I know "the rules" tell us that when you cook with seafood you should NOT include cheese.  I've never been much for rules.  And in this case, neither should you!  Friends, I made these for our family last week and my eight year old son ate FOUR of these suckers.  My husband and I each ate THREE.  There were only TWO left.  I made TWELVE total!  Have I mentioned my mad math skills?  I thought we would have enough for another meal.  Not so much.  My son loved them so much that, when he saw me editing this picture before I took him to school today, he said "mmmmmm, mom those were so good.  Can you make them again but this time maybe you should make a double batch."  Maybe I should.  And so should you.  Enjoy!

Roasted Shrimp Enchiladas with Jalapeno Cream Sauce (adapted from damndelicious.net)

For the enchiladas:


1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
Salt and pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced
2 c. shredded cabbage (I used coleslaw mix)
1 carrot, peeled and grated
3 c. baby spinach
2 chipotle peppers in adobo, minced
1/4 t. oregano
12 (6") corn tortillas, warmed 
1 c. monterey jack cheese

For the jalapeno cream sauce:

2 T. unsalted butter
2 T. all purpose flour
1 1/2 c. low sodium chicken broth
3/4 c. light sour cream
2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
1/2 t. garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 c. fresh cilantro, chopped (plus more for garnish, if desired)

For the enchiladas:

Preheat the oven to 400.  Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.  Place the shrimp on the baking sheet and toss with 1 T. of the olive oil, salt and pepper.  Bake for 6-8 minutes or until the shrimp are pink and cooked through.  Remove from the oven and let cool before dicing into bite sized pieces.  You could do this step the day before, if desired.  Just roast, allow to cool, cut into bite sized pieces and store in an airtight container in the fridge until the next day.

Reduce the oven temperature to 375.  Spray a 9X13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.  Heat the remaining 1 T. olive oil in a large skillet and add the garlic and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.  Add cabbage, carrot, spinach, chipotle and oregano.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until the spinach begins to wilt, about 1-2 minutes.  Add the shrimp and stir to combine.  Remove from the heat and set aside.  

For the jalapeno cream sauce:

Melt the butter in a large saucepan.  Whisk in the flour, about 1 minute.  Gradually whisk in the chicken broth and cook, whisking constantly, until incorporated, about 1-2 minutes.  Stir in the sour cream.  Add jalapenos and garlic powder and simmer until the sauce has thickened, about 2 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro.  I made the sauce a day ahead to save myself a step.  Just reheat on the stove while you make the enchilada filling!

To assemble:

Lay a tortilla on a flat surface and spoon 1/3 c. of the shrimp mixture in the center.  Roll the tortilla and place seam side down into the prepared baking dish.  Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.  Pour the jalapeno cream sauce over the top, sprinkle with cheese and bake 20 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.  Garnish with cilantro, if desired.  

12 servings (183 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: