Friday, January 3, 2014

Rock the Casbah Burger

I love a good burger.  I especially love them when I get them at a place in Lawrence, Kansas called The Burger Stand at the Casbah.  This place is heavenly!  If you've never heard of it you should check it out!  Not only do they have delicious and different takes on burgers, they also have decadent sides and dipping sauces!  Can I get an amen?  Their onion rings are, quite possibly, the best I've ever eaten.  Anyway, we live about 45 minutes from this awesome deliciousness (which probably isn't a bad thing) so we only make it there once or twice a year.  Well, I'm a facebook fan of this place and a few months ago they had a special burger with muenster cheese, salami and horseradish mustard that was served on pumpernickel bread.  Can I stop right here and say there is nothing better than pumpernickel bread?  Thanks.  Anyway, I knew I wouldn't make it there for the special but I thought, I can make that at home!  So, I did.  You're welcome.  The burger itself is adapted from a recipe on foodnetwork.com but my interpretation of what they might have done at The Burger Stand is all mine.  And so, I give you the.........

Rock the Casbah Burger (adapted from food network.com)

For the burger:

2 lb. 96% lean ground beef
1 t. salt 
1/2 t. pepper
2 t. hot sauce (I use Frank's)
2 t. garlic powder
2 t. onion powder
1 T. worcestershire sauce

Mix all ingredients together and form 6 patties.  Preheat the grill, broiler or saute pan (your choice) and cook to desired doneness (I like medium.)  Set aside to rest while you prepare the toppings.  (It should also be noted that this is a great burger recipe on it's own.  Feel free to add any toppings you like!)

For the toppings:

24 slices salami (4 for each burger)
6 slices muenster cheese (1 for each burger)
Horseradish mustard
6 large slices pumpernickel bread, cut in half and toasted (1 for each burger, 2 slices if they are small)

Assemble the burgers with toppings and serve immediately with pickles and tater tots on the side! 
6 burgers (484 calories each) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: