Saturday, February 1, 2014

Chicken and Chickpea Tagine

My husband and I have a running joke about tagines.  Every time one of us sees a tagine (an earthenware pot with a lid that is used to cook stews over a fire) one of us says "we really need a tagine."  We don't cook over a fire.  Well, maybe we would if we went camping.  My husband TOTALLY would.  But I don't camp.  I think it might only be funny to us.  Anyway.....when I saw this recipe in Cooking Light I knew I had to make it if not for the flavor then at least to tell my husband "I made a tagine."  In a way a slow cooker is like a tagine and can emulate the cooking method.  Tagines are commonly found in North Africa and this one definitely has African flavors with the spices used, chickpeas and dried apricots!  It is definitely something a little different but not too out of the box.  Enjoy!

Chicken and Chickpea Tagine (adapted from Cooking Light, December 2013)

1 1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. black pepper
1 1/4 t. ground cumin
1 t. ground coriander
1 t. paprika
3/4 t. ground turmeric
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/4 t. crushed red pepper
1/4 t. ground cinnamon
1 medium onion, diced
12 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. low sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 t. honey
2/3 c. dried apricots, chopped
1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
8 bone in, skin off chicken pieces (I used 4 thighs and 4 legs)
1/4 c. cilantro

Mix together dried spices (salt through cinnamon) and set aside.  In a 6 qt. slow cooker that has been sprayed with cooking spray place the onion, garlic, chicken broth, honey, apricots, chickpeas and half of the dried spice blend and stir to combine.
Place the chicken on top and season the chicken with the remaining spice blend.  Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2-4 hours.  Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.  (I served mine over brown rice.)

4 servings (342 calories each serving, excluding rice) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: