Sunday, February 16, 2014

Crock Pot Beef with Broccoli

Let's just continue with the crock pot deliciousness this weekend, shall we?  Have I mentioned my love for Chinese food before?  I could easily flip flop between Chinese and Mexican and be a happy camper for the rest of my life!  I love making my own Chinese food at home because you have the chance to control the sodium and no MSG is added!  I've been wanting to try a crock pot broccoli beef recipe for a long time and I finally did it and it was delicious!  I used stew meat for ease but feel free to buy a chuck roast and cut it up yourself.  The meat simmers all day in a delicious sauce and then you add broccoli near the end of the cooking time.  I hope you enjoy!

Crock Pot Beef with Broccoli (adapted from justapinch.com)

1 1/2 lb. beef stew meat
2 T. cornstarch
1 c. low sodium beef broth
1/2 c. low sodium soy sauce
1/3 c. brown sugar
1 T. sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 t. salt
1 lb. frozen broccoli florets, thawed

Place the beef in a 6 qt. crock pot that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  Sprinkle the cornstarch on top of the beef and toss to coat.  Add the beef broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, garlic and salt.  Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2-4 hours.  A half an hour before you want to eat add the broccoli and stir to combine.  Replace the lid and let the broccoli warm through with the beef mixture for 30 minutes.  Serve over hot cooked rice.

6 servings (250 calories each serving not including rice) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: