Friday, February 28, 2014

Doro Wat (Ethiopian Chicken Stew)

As we near the end of our journey through Ethiopian food I would be remiss if I didn't post my version of Doro Wat (or Ethiopian Chicken Stew, pronounced door-oh watt).  Traditionally this dish is made with a TON of clarified butter and cooked in a pot on the stove.  It is also traditionally served with hard boiled eggs which I have done before but did not do here.  This recipe is a collaboration of a crock pot recipe from crockpot365.blogspot.com and Marcus Samuelsson (boy do I ever have a soft spot in my heart for that guy.)  I do not use any butter or olive oil but I PROMISE the traditional flavors are there and you will not miss the extra fat!  I do prepare mine in the crock pot and the chicken just falls right off of the bone and the juice from the tomatoes keeps it nice and moist.  After eating this you can eat a big old slice of chocolate cake without any guilt.  That ain't Ethiopian but it sure is good!  Enjoy!

Doro Wat (Ethiopian Chicken Stew) (adapted from crockpot365.blogspot.com and "The Soul Of A New Cuisine" by Marcus Samuelsson)

1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 red onion, sliced
12 chicken legs, skin removed
Salt, to taste
1 t. garlic powder
2 t. dried ginger
1/4 t. cumin
1/2 t. cardamom
1/4 t. oregano
1/8 t. turmeric
1/2 t. dried basil
1/4 t. black pepper
1 T. berbere (or chili powder)

Place tomatoes and red onion in the bottom of a 6 qt. crock pot that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  Place chicken on top and season with salt.  Combine the garlic powder, ginger, cumin, cardamom, oregano, turmeric, basil, black pepper and berbere (or chili powder.)  Drizzle the spice mixture onto the chicken.  Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.  

6 servings (182 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: