Saturday, March 1, 2014

Gomen Wat (Ethiopian Greens)


I end my week of Ethiopian food with one of my husband's favorite dishes, Gomen Wat or, Ethiopian greens.  My husband's family is from the South and he has very fond memories of eating greens when he went to visit his grandparents on their farm in Tennessee.  These particular greens are flavored with onion, garlic, turmeric, ginger and jalapeno pepper so I'm sure they're not the same recipe his grandma used!  I cannot remember where I got this recipe so I can't give credit.  They are delicious and will make a believer out of anyone, even if they don't like greens (me.)  Enjoy!

Gomen Wat (Ethiopian Greens) 

2 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 t. ginger
1/2 t. turmeric
1/2 t. salt (or to taste)
1/2 t. black pepper
1 lb. fresh collard greens, chopped 
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced

Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.  Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes or until translucent.  Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, salt and pepper and cook, stirring constantly, for an additional minute.  Add the collard greens, stir to combine, cover and cook on medium low for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add the jalapeno pepper, stir and continue cooking, uncovered, for an additional 5 minutes.

6 servings (62 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: