Thursday, February 6, 2014

Skinny Reuben Sandwich

I don't know about you but, to me, one of the kings of bar food is the reuben sandwich.  Rye bread, thousand island dressing, sauerkraut, corned beef and swiss cheese all melted together into a drippy, delicious sandwich.  The problem is, the reuben is not an every day sandwich due to the enormous calorie count (the average reuben can be anywhere between 450 and 800 calories!)  But wait, now it is!  By subbing light thousand island dressing, turkey pastrami (or smoked turkey) for the corned beef and light swiss cheese you have a sandwich that is not only doable, calorie wise, it is de-licious and you won't miss any flavor.  If you like reubens give this a try, I promise it won't disappoint!

Skinny Reuben Sandwich (Shelly Redmond)

1 t. spreadable butter, divided
2 slices rye bread (I used Pepperidge Farm rye and pumpernickel swirl)
2 T. light thousand island dressing, divided
2 slices light swiss cheese (I used Kraft slim cut)
2 oz. turkey pastrami (I used Oscar Meyer)
1/4 c. sauerkraut, well drained

Spread 1/2 t. of the butter on one slice of the bread and place it buttered side down in a saute pan.  Spread 1 T. of the thousand island dressing on the side of the bread that is face up then layer on the cheese, pastrami and sauerkraut.  Top with the remaining thousand island dressing and place the other slice of bread on top.  Spread the remaining 1/2 t. butter on the outside of the bread and turn the heat on medium.  Cook about 5 minutes, or until the bottom layer of bread is crunchy and browned.  I press mine down with my spatula so it will stay together when I flip it.  Flip the sandwich and continue cooking until everything is heated through and the other side is brown and toasty!  I served mine with veggie chips and pickles.

1 sandwich (390 calories) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: