Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Cannellini Bean and Sausage Stew

I feel like (okay, I HOPE) we are getting near the end of soup and stew weather so I thought I'd better share this recipe before I find out it's hanging in my pending blog posts in July.  Because I don't want you to have to eat stew in July.  You're welcome.  This is a super hearty stew that I saw Giada DeLaurentiis make on her show on Food Network and I thought "I could totally throw that thing in the crock pot!"  So I did.  And it was delicious!  The portions are nicely sized and it is very rich and tasty.  I used chicken sausage to cut down on some of the calories but feel free to use any sausage you like!  If you want a more soup-y consistency feel free to add an extra cup of broth too!  Enjoy!

Cannellini Bean and Sausage Stew (adapted from foodnetwork.com)

2 fennel bulbs, chopped
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 (15 oz.) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (or any other white bean)
10 oz. kale, chopped (I used frozen)
1 c. low sodium chicken broth
4 (about 12 oz.) chicken sausage links, sliced (I used fully cooked)

Combine all ingredients in a 6 qt. slow cooker that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  Cook on high for 2-4 hours or on low for 4-6 hours.  

5 servings (241 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: