Thursday, March 6, 2014

Prosciutto and Brie Grilled Cheese

I have a sandwich to share with you today.  But this isn't just a sandwich.  It's a gourmet sandwich.  This is a throwback for me because I ate a sandwich very similar to this one the first time my husband and I visited Napa Valley in 2002.  We had lunch at Korbel winery in Guerneville, CA. and I will never forget eating lunch on their patio, glass of champagne in hand, sun shining down on me.  One of the best days ever!  It's pretty simple, really, just some brie and prosciutto with fig spread but, oh my word is it divine!  I hope you enjoy!

Prosciutto and Brie Grilled Cheese

1 t. butter, softened
2 slices sourdough bread (I used Cobblestone Mill)
2 T. fig butter (It's like apple butter only made with figs!  Yum-O!  I got mine at Trader Joe's but you can also use fig jam or preserves)
2 oz. brie cheese, sliced (I used Trader Joe's light brie)
2 oz. thinly sliced prosciutto

Spread 1/2 t. butter on one side of a piece of sourdough bread and place buttered side down on a griddle pan or skillet.  Spread 1 T. fig butter on the side that is face up and then stack on the brie and prosciutto.  Spread the remaining 1 T. fig butter on one side of the other slice of sourdough bread and place it face down on top of the prosciutto.  Spread the remaining 1/2 t. butter on the side of the bread facing up.  Turn the heat to medium and cook for 5-7 minutes (or until lightly browned) then flip and cook the other side until brown.  Don't turn the heat up too high or the cheese won't have time to melt and warm through.  Cut in half and devour!

1 sandwich (544 calories each) according to my calculator on loseit.com (no this isn't a low cal sandwich and no, I won't apologize for it!)  

No comments: