Monday, April 14, 2014

Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread

I am a BIG fan of anything cinnamon (I mean anything.  Food, gum, those gummy hearts that are only available at Valentine's, thank goodness!)  ANYWAY, when I found this recipe for cinnamon swirl banana bread I knew I had to try it!  Two of my favorite things, cinnamon and banana bread together in one place!  Let's just say this bread was gone in less than 24 hours at my house.  And I only got two pieces.  One for dessert the night I made it and one for breakfast the next day.  It was so good that I had to warn my husband before I went to bed "please leave some banana bread for breakfast sweetie."  He's a night snacker.  I'm probably giving you more information than you care to know about my life.  Enjoy the bread!

Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread (adapted from lovintheoven.com)

For the bread:

3 medium bananas, mashed
1/3 c. melted butter
1/2 c. sugar
1 large egg, beaten
1 t. vanilla extract
1 t. baking soda
1/8 t. salt
1 1/2 c. white whole wheat flour (can also use all purpose)

For the swirl:

1/4 c. sugar
1 T. cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350.  Spray a 9X5 loaf pan with cooking spray.  Mix bananas, butter, sugar, egg and vanilla together in a large bowl.  Sprinkle baking soda and salt on top then gently stir in the flour.  In a small dish mix together the ingredients for the swirl (sugar and cinnamon.)  Place half of the batter in the loaf pan and then sprinkle half of the cinnamon sugar on top.  Add the rest of the batter and then sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon sugar.  Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Allow to cool in the pan before removing.

10 servings (210 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: