Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Cilantro Lime Farro

For those of you that like my Chipotle Style Rice you are gonna LOVE this new twist on an old favorite.    If you recall, farro is a nutty grain, similar to barley that is a great alternative to rice!  I liked this dish so much that I made it two weeks in a row for Taco Tuesday and the second time I doubled it for leftovers!  I hope you enjoy it too!

Cilantro Lime Farro (adapted from gimmesomeoven.com)

1 c. farro
6 c. vegetable or chicken broth (can also use water!)
1/3 c. chopped cilantro
Zest and juice of 1 lime
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. cumin
1/8 t. garlic powder
1/8 t. black pepper

Place the farro in a large saucepan and pour in the broth or water.  Bring the farro to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes (check your package for instructions) until the farro is cooked and chewy.  Drain any excess liquid.  

Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.  Serve immediately!

4 servings (186 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: