Sunday, June 8, 2014

Copycat Chick Fil A Sandwich

Welcome to a special Sunday edition of Shel's Kitchen!  I thought it fitting to post the world's greatest chicken sandwich, normally unattainable on Sunday, on Sunday.  Everyone knows Chick Fil A is closed on Sunday, right?  No worries, my friends!  Now you can have Chick Fil A at home, especially on Sunday!  Plus, since you are making it you know exactly what's going into it and the calories are cut in HALF!  HALF, my friends!  I don't know why you're not jumping for joy right now.  Maybe you are.  I was.  Let's get down to the recipe.....

Copycat Chick Fil A Sandwich (adapted from skinnymom.com)

1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
1/2 c. pickle juice
1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 T. powdered sugar
1 t. paprika
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. celery salt
1/2 t. dried basil
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1/2 c. skim milk
Cooking spray
8 Sara Lee Wheat Hamburger Buns (80 calories each)
Sliced pickles (for serving)

Cut the chicken breasts into 8 even pieces.  I had two chicken breasts so I cut mine in half lengthwise (butterflied) and then cut each piece in half across the center so I had 4 pieces from each breast.  (I really, really hope that makes sense!)  Place the chicken pieces in a container with a tight fitting lid and add the pickle juice.  Cover, refrigerate and allow to marinate for 30-60 minutes (I did mine for 60 minutes.)  

Preheat the oven to 375.  Place the flour, sugar, paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, celery salt and basil in a pie plate and stir with a fork to combine.  In a separate medium bowl place the egg, egg white and milk and whisk to combine.  

Place a cooling rack on top of a jelly roll pan and spray the cooling rack with cooking spray.  You can see an example of what I'm talking about here.  Dip the chicken in the egg and milk mixture, turning to coat on both sides then coat in the flour mixture on both sides.  Place the chicken pieces on the cooling rack and spray the tops with cooking spray (this will make the chicken brown and crispy.)  Bake for 30 minutes.  Serve on buns with pickle slices!


8 servings (224 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: