Monday, June 9, 2014

Greek Style Spaghetti Squash

I have a problem.  I love pasta.  In fact, I probably love it a little too much.  The other problem is, I've never been able to find a way to make spaghetti squash (a great substitute for pasta) in a way that I like.  Until now.  Even better, I found a way to make spaghetti squash in the crock pot (I know this SHOCKS you!) so you don't have to heat up the oven (spaghetti squash takes a LONG time too cook.) Try this asap, I promise you'll love it!

Greek Style Spaghetti Squash (adapted from peaceloveandlowcarb.com)

1 medium spaghetti squash (about 3-4 lb. - you want to end up with about 4 c. cooked squash)
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 T. unsalted butter
2 c. baby spinach
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1/4 c. sun dried tomatoes
2 T. capers
2 T. parsley, chopped
10 kalamata olives, halved
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 c. feta cheese, crumbled

Cook the squash however you choose.  For this recipe I tried a new method in my crock pot!  You can find the instructions here.  It worked great!  When the squash is cooked, cut it in half and remove the seeds.  Shred the squash with a fork and set it aside.  In a large skillet heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat.  Add the squash, spinach, garlic, salt and pepper and saute until the spinach is wilted and everything is heated through.  

Add the sun dried tomatoes, capers, parsley and olives.  Stir to combine and continue to cook for another 3-5 minutes.  Remove from the heat and add the cheese.  Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if desired.

6 side dish servings (266 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: