Sunday, September 28, 2014

Apple Chicken Salad

My dear friend, Crystal, made me this chicken salad for lunch when I went to her house one day.  While this is super simple to make the key here is cumin.  I had never had cumin in my chicken salad and it added an awesome warmth and spice that works just perfectly with the chicken and apples.  I added celery to my salad for additional crunch as well.  I served this salad in wraps but you could eat it as is or serve in lettuce cups!  Enjoy!

Apple Chicken Salad (courtesy of my friend Crystal)

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 1/2 t. salt, divided
3/4 t. pepper, divided
3 medium apples, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
3 hard boiled eggs, diced
1/2 c. mayonnaise (I used mayo with olive oil)
1 t. cumin

Preheat the oven to 375.  Spray a small baking sheet with cooking spray and place the chicken on the baking sheet.  Spray the top of the chicken breasts with cooking spray then season with 1/2 t. salt and 1/4 t. pepper.  Bake for 35-40 minutes.  Remove the chicken from the oven and allow to cool before assembling the salad.

When the chicken is cool, dice it into bite sized pieces and place it in a medium bowl.  Add the remaining 1 t. salt, 1/2 t. pepper, diced apples, diced celery, diced eggs, mayonnaise and cumin.  Toss to combine.

6 servings (233 calories each serving) according to my calculator on lose it.com

No comments: