Thursday, October 2, 2014

Turkey, Cheddar and Apple Grilled Cheese

I really like sandwiches.  Especially grilled cheese sandwiches.  So, after we went apple picking I knew I needed to come up with a sandwich that incorporated apples and boy howdy is this a good one!  Lean turkey breast, sharp cheddar cheese, thinly sliced apple and just a touch of apricot preserves for sweetness!  This is my new favorite sandwich.  Until I make my next new favorite sandwich, that is!  Enjoy!

Turkey, Cheddar and Apple Grilled Cheese 

8 slices rye bread (I used Trader Joe's Sprouted Rye - only 60 calories a slice!)
8 t. apricot preserves
4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
8 oz. lean turkey breast
1 small apple, thinly sliced
Cooking spray

Spread 4 bread slices out on a cutting board and spread 2 t. of the apricot preserves on each of the 4 slices.  Place 1 slice of cheese on top of 4 of the bread slices, followed by the apple slices, then the turkey.  Top with the remaining 4 bread slices then coat both sides of the bread with cooking spray.  Place the sandwiches, cheese side down, in a preheated skillet or griddle pan (I used my electric skillet for more even cooking) and cook over medium low heat until the first side is browned.  Turn and cook the other side until browned, the cheese is melted and the turkey is warmed through.  Serve immediately.

4 sandwiches (318 calories each) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: