Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Apple Pie

Apple week would not be complete without good, old fashioned, American apple pie!  And the truth of the matter is, it's really easy to make!  Especially easy if you use store bought crust like I do.  Have I mentioned I'm not a baker?  This is one of my eight year old's favorite desserts and, truth be told, I only make it a couple of times a year.  I don't know why since it's insanely easy (and tasty!)  I like to leave 'em hangin'.  Ha!  Serve this warm with vanilla ice cream or a little whipped cream and you are golden (just like the crust!)  Enjoy!

Apple Pie (adapted from foodnetwork.com)

1 package refrigerated pie crust (will contain 2 crusts)
5 medium apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 T. flour
1 t. cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 400.  Carefully unroll one pie crust and place it in a 9" pie plate, gently pressing to conform to the plate.  In a medium bowl place the apples, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon and toss to combine.  Pour the apple mixture into the prepared crust, unroll the remaining crust and place on top of the apples.  Crimp the edges of the crusts together, cut two slits in the top crust with a pairing knife so steam can escape and bake for 30-40 minutes until the crust is golden brown.

8 servings (316 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: