Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Overnight Apple Oatmeal

I'm sure you didn't think you would get out of apple week without a crock pot recipe (or two.)  Well, you were correct.  Now, I've always wanted to like oatmeal, I really have.  The problem I have is, it never has enough flavor nor is it sweet enough (I know, if it's too sweet it sorta defeats the purpose of oatmeal being healthy!)  Yes, I get it.  My husband, however, went through a phase where he ate apple cinnamon oatmeal for breakfast every dad blamed morning.  He's now in a fried egg with hot sauce and banana regimen, but I digress.  Anyway, since I am always wanting to like oatmeal I give a new recipe a try every once in a while and this one did not disappoint!  Plenty of cinnamon (have I mentioned my love of cinnamon?  I even use cinnamon toothpaste.  Again, I digress) and enough brown sugar (my fave) to make it sweet but not so as you feel bad about the oatmeal you just ate being loaded with sugar.  AND, it cooks all night in the crock pot so breakfast is ready when you wake up and your house smells amazing!  Oatmeal for the win!

Overnight Apple Oatmeal (adapted from 365ishpins.com)

2 T. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
4 medium apples, peeled, cores removed and diced
2 T. cinnamon 
3/4 c. brown sugar
2 c. old fashioned oats (not instant)
3 c. water
1 c. fat free half and half (use any milk you have on hand or even use water for all 4 cups of the liquid!)

Spray a 4 qt. crock pot with cooking spray then sprinkle the butter pieces all over the bottom.  Cover the butter with the diced apples.  Sprinkle the cinnamon on top of the apples then sprinkle the brown sugar on top of that.  Cover with the oats then add the water and half and half.  Do not stir!  Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.  Remove the lid and stir to combine.  Serve!

6 servings (335 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com 

No comments: