Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Cranberry Pork Chops

I am not a person who likes to make a grand entrance. I prefer to slip into the party and strike up a conversation with a familiar friend rather than burst through the door slinging salutations and handing out hearty hugs. Which is why I like the cranberry. About this time of year just look past the large pumpkins and the surrealist-shaped gourds, for there they appear, packed fresh in bags, quietly waiting for you to help them unleash their tart-y goodness on your fall menu. Last year this Cranberry and Fig Compote graced us with everything from a Thanksgiving side to a topping for our morning yogurt (and if you have yet to make it, this is your call to action).

Well, my family recently decided that this year we will be going out for Thanksgiving <dodging evil, disapproving stares>. That’s right. As much as I will miss recreating the culinary equivalent of Finals Week. As much as I will miss cramming every square inch of my double leaf-elongated table (and possibly a card table in the corner) with every fall favorite so no family member’s ‘magical day’ is ruined, all cranked out of my 6x8 kitchen. As much as I will miss trying the latest brining method, polishing, using and washing every piece of china and silverware I own, or having the power go out with two hours left on the turkey. Sigh. I will miss it.

Some things should not be missed, which is why I’ve chosen to savor this glorious season of Thanksgiving by bringing it to my table throughout the whole month. Which brings us to these cranberry pork chops you should make…and savor. Start by preparing the aforementioned Cranberry and Fig Compote (or buy the canned stuff, I ain’t judging! Hey, I’m going OUT for Thanksgiving, remember?), add it to your crock pot with pork chops, sliced onion and rosemary and the result is heavenly. The sweet tartness of the cranberry sauce interacts with the caramelized onion and the earthiness of the rosemary, creating an intoxicating aroma throughout the day and a succulent snapshot of fall on your plate that evening.

Cranberry Pork Chops

6 (5 oz.) lean boneless pork chops
Salt and pepper
1 medium yellow onion, sliced
1/2 c. cranberry fig compote (you can find the recipe here or use the canned stuff.  If you choose the canned use the whole berry)
1/2 t. dried rosemary

Place the pork chops in a 4 qt. crock pot and season with salt and pepper.  Spread the sliced onion evenly all over the pork chops.  In a small bowl place the cranberry compote and dried rosemary and stir to combine, breaking up the cranberry compote as much as possible.  Spoon the cranberry mixture over each pork chop as evenly as possible.  Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or on high for 2-4 hours.  

6 servings (320 calories each serving) according to my calculator on lose it.com

No comments: