Friday, March 27, 2015

Beer Molasses Barbecue Sauce

Lately I've been experimenting a bit more with beer in my cooking. I feel confident cooking with wine, but using beer has always seemed daunting. Maybe because of the bitterness, fizziness from the carbonation, or the fact that I am not sure on how the taste when drinking translates to the taste imparted when cooking. But what better way to find out than to just dive in!? Last weekend I made this BBQ sauce to go on pulled Kalua Pork sandwiches (which by the way might be my favorite AND easiest pork recipe in the history of ever - just THREE ingredients). This sauce is interesting; it uses chili sauce as a base instead of the usual suspects, tomato sauce or ketchup. This intrigued me because I knew it would be spicy, but retain the acidic, yet sweet aspect I was looking for, since the base for chili sauce is tomato paste. I also liked the idea of molasses adding an earthy sweetness, but thought it might need something to offset the bitterness it and the beer would also bring to the party, so I added a little honey for a floral sweetness. I chose Tallgrass Brewing Company Buffalo Sweat for the beer, a rich and luscious oatmeal cream stout which complements the spice and sweetness perfectly. This recipe is totally adjustable to your taste, so start with it as a base, then taste and see where you want to go from here. I tasted the perfect balance of heat, sweet, and spice but you can play around and see what you think. Most of all, don't be afraid to experiment in your cooking; it's good to branch out and get out of your comfort zone every once in a while. No matter the outcome, at least you still have part of a beer leftover to drink.

Beer Molasses Barbecue Sauce (adapted from epicurious.com)


1 (12 oz.) jar chili sauce 
1/2 c. molasses
1/4 c. honey
3/4 c. stout beer (such as Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat)
2 T. Dijon mustard
2 T. chili powder
2 t. soy sauce
2 t. hot sauce
1 1/2 t. freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 T. ketchup
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 t. garlic powder

Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Allow to cool to room temperature before serving.

Makes approximately 2 cups of barbecue sauce (1 T. is 43 calories according to my calculator on loseit.com)

No comments: