Monday, March 30, 2015

Crock Pot Beer Chicken

I have always been intrigued by the idea of beer can chicken. You know the drill: place a whole chicken on top of an upright, open beer can and grill it. The flavor of the beer is supposedly imparted to the chicken. However, there are two problems with this scenario, the first being I don't grill (it's my husband's job), and the other being all the research I've done has shown that you don't really get much beer flavor from beer can chicken. If you don't get the beer flavor, what's the point? I'm about to remedy the situation and it starts with my favorite kitchen tool...you know it...you love it...you know I love it...the crock pot!

Season chicken thighs with a homemade rub then simmer in the crock pot with, you guessed it, BEER! For this application, Ethos IPA from Tallgrass Brewing Company was an excellent pairing. I poured an entire can of that hoppy, yet juicy tasting beer on top of the chicken and let it cook low and slow all day. The result was fall-off-the-bone, beer-infused chicken that did not require me standing over a hot grill only to be delivered beer-less chicken. How disappointing would that be? So, save the grill for another day and opt for the crock pot. You'll be glad you did!

Crock Pot Beer Chicken (adapted from funnyisfamily.com)

1 t. garlic powder
1 t. paprika
1 t. salt
1 t. onion powder
1 t. dried parsley 
1 t. dried basil
1/2 t. pepper
12 bone in, skin off chicken thighs (feel free to use any bone in, skin off chicken you prefer)
1 (12 oz.) can beer, such as Tallgrass Brewing Company Ethos IPA

In a small bowl mix together the garlic powder, paprika, salt, onion powder, parsley, basil and pepper. Sprinkle evenly over the chicken pieces and rub to infuse with the flavor. Place the chicken pieces in the crock pot then crack open the beer and pour the whole thing on top! Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2-4 hours. I served this with this Easy Addicting Corn recipe which I doubled (and salted - trust me, it needs it). The corn is the perfect pairing because it's sweet and the beer chicken is a little bitter. 

6 servings (252 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: