Friday, March 6, 2015

Coffee Crusted Ribeye

It has been relatively cold here in Kansas City this week. You can tell it’s cold when the moms at school pickup (even the transplants from Minnesota) have not been standing outside to chat. That's cold, people, because we cherish our mom time! Take heart though, because spring is on the way. In fact, we are going to get a little taste of springtime (near 60-degree) weather starting tomorrow here in good 'ole KC so I thought I'd share a recipe for grilled ribeye steaks today.

I have been wanting to make coffee-crusted steaks for quite a while now and I am so glad we did. Even if you're not a fan of coffee I think you would like this spice rub. The coffee adds a nutty, rich flavor that can't be beat, which combined with the spiciness from the chili powder and the sweetness of the brown sugar makes quite possibly the best spice rub of all time!


If you have a husband like mine (he's the griller, not me) he will grill in any weather. In fact, he's been known to grill in the snow. Gosh I love that man. If, however, you wait to grill until the weather is a little warmer I totally understand. Kansas Citians this is your weekend! Go to the store, grab some ribeye steaks and make these puppies. We made these steaks for Valentine's day this year along with Broiled Asparagus and Mashed Cauliflower for a wonderful dinner at home at a fraction of the cost of going out. In fact, why not celebrate the return of warmer weather, longer days (don't forget to “spring forward” one hour this weekend) and singing birds. To me, that's always a cause for celebration!


Coffee Crusted Ribeye (adapted from foodnetwork.com)


2 T. chili powder
1 T. paprika
1 T. ground coffee (I used decaf)
1 T. brown sugar
1 1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 t. pepper
1 1/2 t. dry mustard
1 1/2 t. oregano
1 1/2 t. ground coriander
1 t. ground ginger
4 (12 oz.) ribeye steaks

Combine the first 10 ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine. Divide the rub evenly among the steaks and use your fingers to work the rub onto the meat. For grilling instructions follow this link. 

4 servings (901 calories each serving - gasp! I know. It's a special occasion. Plus, your sides are low cal and low carb, right? Breathe.) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: