Thursday, March 5, 2015

Creamy Chorizo and Brussels Sprouts Soup

I have a cold. Yes, last week after having a sick kiddo for half the week it seems I have acquired some of the nastiness. Kids are funny about giving; they won't share their toys but they will share their germs. With that said, Tuesday evening I did NOT feel like cooking. In fact, as I stood prepping two pounds of brussels sprouts for this soup I was feeling rather resentful. Why couldn't my six year-old who passed this cold on to me get his butt in the kitchen and fix his mom some soup? Is that too much to ask? Yep, I'm afraid so. Suffice it to say I was not very pleasant to be around on Tuesday night. However, my mood was greatly improved upon sitting down to a delicious steaming bowl of this soup. The prep was all worth it. Here's the deal: sauté up some chorizo (a spicy Spanish sausage), add diced onion, brussels sprouts, potato and a bunch of chicken broth. Let that simmer then add evaporated milk (for creaminess) at the end. Pure genius and NEVER a combo I would have thought of myself…but I'm sure glad someone else did. The mild spiciness of the sausage mixed with the slight bitterness and lingering earthiness of the brussels sprouts and the creamy, hearty potatoes were the big soup-y hug I desperately needed. Today my ears are stopped up, Yippee! But I have leftover soup, so nothing else matters. On the bright side, I can barely hear the kids ‘not sharing’ their toys.

Creamy Chorizo and Brussels Sprouts Soup (adapted from gimmesomeoven.com)

1 lb. chorizo sausage, finely diced (if you can find ground, even better!)
1 large yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 lb. brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and finely chopped
8 c. chicken broth
1 lb. yukon gold potatoes, diced
2 t. paprika
2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk

In a large soup pot brown the chorizo sausage then add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, or until the onion starts to soften and turns translucent. Add the garlic and brussels sprouts and cook for 3 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Add the chicken broth, potatoes, paprika, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through and the brussels sprouts are tender. Leave the heat on low and add the evaporated milk, allowing the soup to warm through. Ladle into bowls and serve!

8 servings (257 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

















No comments: