Thursday, March 12, 2015

Cuban Pork

I dislike surprises immensely. Just ask my husband, he'll tell you, surely shaking his head while you ask because he knows I just can't take it! I still like being in on surprises for other people because it’s way more fun: I get to be in the know, help plan, and decide when the surprise is happening. I have a surprise for you today! It's a new recipe for Cuban pork which I should have posted for taco Tuesday. Monday was just too gosh darn nice to sit inside and blog. I enjoyed playing with my 6 year-old who had a new bat and wiffle ball, then played catch with my 9 year-old after school. Monday night, book club, err…wine club…I mean BOOK club! Before you go judging we do discuss our book but there is wine too. Et vinum liberi. Amen.

So here's how it went down in my muddled brain: I had a Throwback Thursday (today's) recipe ready but nothing for Tuesday or Wednesday. Then I decided to skip Tuesday (see above re: nice weather and book club) but didn't want to leave you hanging on Wednesday, so I went ahead and posted today's banana bread recipe yesterday. And since I didn’t want to go a whole week without Taco Tuesday, we’re having Taco Tuesday on Thursday. My brain is atrocious, I know. At any rate, you're getting a recipe. Aren't you glad to be out of my tangled web of a mind?


I found this recipe for Cuban pork in the latest issue of issue of ‘Every Day with Rachael Ray’ in a spread she did about dutch ovens. Now, I love my dutch oven, don't get me wrong. But when it starts to heat up outside there is nothing cool about having your oven going for hours on end. I'm sure you know where I'm going with this. Yep, straight to my trusty crock pot. As I've said before, braising meat in a dutch oven is basically the same thing as cooking it in the crock pot. Just brown the meat on all sides (or don't, I didn't this time) then cook it low and slow in the crock pot with a little bit of liquid until it shreds easily with two forks! As my six year old would say, "easy, peas-y, lemon squeeze-y". You'll notice the side of black beans and rice in this picture I'm sure. It's a beautiful thing and I will share the recipe tomorrow (whatever day that is), I promise. Until then, enjoy the (hopefully) spring-like weather with your family and try not to have nightmares about the crazy brain of this food blogger, or try to surprise me. The struggle is real, my friends.
 

Cuban Pork (adapted from Every Day with Rachael Ray, March 2015)

1 1/2 t. paprika
1 1/2 t. dried oregano
1 1/2 t. ground cumin
3/4 t. garlic powder
1 1/2 t. salt
2 lb. boneless pork loin
1/4 c. freshly squeezed orange juice
2 T. freshly squeezed lime juice

Combine the paprika, oregano, cumin, garlic powder and salt in a small bowl and stir to combine. Rub the spice mixture all over the pork loin and place the pork loin in a 4 qt. crock pot that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Add the juices, cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2-4 hours. Shred with two forks and serve!

6 servings (146 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: