Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Mom's Banana Bread

There are many, many banana bread recipes in the world. Here at Shel's Kitchen alone I've highlighted ten variations. Folks are always putting a new twist on it: they add peanut butter, chocolate chips, other fruits such as blueberries or even roasted strawberries, but sometimes it's nice to break out an old standby. You know, the one that requires only the basics in your pantry and comes out flawlessly every single time you make it. This, my friends, is that recipe. Even better, it's inspired by the one my mom made when I was growing up. I remember her in the kitchen at night after dinner whipping up a batch of banana bread, baking it for what seemed like FOREVER, then finally pulling it out of the oven piping hot and risen to perfection. She would let it sit in the pan for a few minutes before turning it out onto a cooling rack and slicing a piece, slathering it with butter and taking it to my dad to eat for dessert. My dad loved the stuff. My mom always put walnuts in her version so if you like them, knock yourself out. I am not a big fan of nuts in breads or cookies so I leave them out. The ingredient list is rather versatile too, so I will include suggestions for substitutions to the side of the recipe when possible. Enjoy going back to the basics and childhood today, because sometimes old dogs don't need new tricks; just banana bread.

Mom's Banana Bread  (adapted from mom)

1/2 c. unsalted butter, melted and cooled (could also you butter flavored shortening like my mom does. I don't keep it on hand)
1/2 c. sugar (my bananas were extremely overripe, so consider adding more sugar the less ripe they are, up to roughly 3/4 c.)
4 medium overripe bananas, mashed
2 c. white whole wheat flour (or all purpose)
1 t. baking soda
1/2 c. light sour cream (buttermilk or skim milk, heck any milk works)
1/2 c. chopped walnuts (if desired, I leave them out)

Preheat the oven to 350. Spray a 9X5" loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and stir with a rubber spatula to combine. Pour the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for 15 minutes then turn out onto a cooling rack. Eat a piece slathered with butter while it's warm. It will change your life. Allow the bread to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.

10 servings (269 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: