Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Quick Cinnamon Bread

Here's some crazy logic for you: I'm in a Bible study with my friend Cori at her church, and our table is assigned to bring treats today. I promised to bring juice in the interest of simplicity, but realized yesterday morning it had escaped my shopping list. So, instead of dragging my six-year-old to the store for a one-off (is there anything more annoying?) I decided to make a quick bread instead. I know. When I told my husband while we were eating breakfast yesterday, he looked at me like I had two heads. Moms, you understand when you must seemingly make things more difficult in the interest of avoiding another 'errand with a little helper.' Yesterday was one of those days. I assessed the contents of my cabinets, peeked at Pinterest and found a recipe I could achieve with minimal work for maximum outcome. Bonus, my six-year-old helped me make it, and did a really good job! Then he (pickiest eater ever) tried it...and (gasp) liked it! Thus ensuring that we spent the rest of the evening keeping him from poking the plastic wrap as he smiled, melodramatically licking his lips. Don't worry, I saved him a piece for breakfast. Yesterday my 'little helper' turned out to be much more effective in the kitchen.

Quick Cinnamon Bread (adapted from redflycreations.com)

1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1 c. sugar, divided
1 large egg
1 c. milk or half & half (I used fat free half and half because that's what I had)
2 c. all purpose flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350. In a large bowl whisk together the butter, 2/3 c. sugar and egg until combined. Add the milk or half & half, flour and baking soda and stir until just combined with a rubber spatula. In a small bowl mix together the remaining 1/3 c. sugar and the cinnamon. Prepare a loaf pan with cooking spray. Pour half of the batter into the loaf pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon sugar mixture on top then add the remaining batter, smooth and sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon sugar. Using a butter knife, swirl the batter to mix the cinnamon sugar throughout the bread.  Bake for 40-45 minutes. Allow to cool in pan for 15 minutes before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely. Slice and serve. Clean up your 'little helper,' who is probably covered in 90% of the above ingredients.

16 servings (160 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

1 comment:

lov2read68 said...

"Mom logic" - makes complete sense to me. Been there, done that!