Thursday, April 9, 2015

Pesto Egg Salad

Last week my six-year-old colored Easter eggs with his preschool class, resulting in 1) thankfulness that I didn't have to deal with that mess at home, and 2) three dyed eggs that I was not willing to throw away and needed to do something with. Out of my deep gratitude for a teacher who is willing to dye eggs with eight preschoolers and my need for dinner, I created this egg salad. It started out simply enough with the usual suspects: hard boiled eggs, onion (I had white, you can use whatever you like), a little bit of lemon juice (freshly squeezed, please), salt and pepper. An obvious choice for the binding agent component would be mayo, but when I went into my fridge I noticed a half-eaten jar of basil pesto sitting there and wheels started turning. A moment later, the pesto elevated this salad from boring, every day egg salad to over-the-top delicious without extra effort on my part! So next time you decide to make egg (or tuna) salad reach for that jar of pesto. Your tastebuds will thank you!

Pesto Egg Salad

3 hard boiled eggs, diced
1/4 small yellow onion, minced
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
3 T. basil pesto

In a medium bowl combine all ingredients and stir together until well blended. Serve on toasted bread, in wraps or lettuce cups!

2 servings (236 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: