Friday, April 10, 2015

Quinoa Tabbouleh

Last week I ventured to a part of town I don’t normally find myself in to have lunch with my sister Julie, at a Greek restaurant near where she works.  After sharing an order of hummus and indulging in an incredible chicken pita (topped with feta, kalamata olives, tomatoes and tzatziki sauce) with a side of delicious tabbouleh, I imagine I will be venturing there again soon. Tabbouleh (tuh-BOO-lee) has to be one of the best food inventions on the planet. Traditionally made with bulgur, a kind of dried cracked wheat, it can also be made with couscous, or in this case, quinoa. Here's the lowdown on tabbouleh: cook the bulgur, couscous or quinoa, allow it to cool, then add finely diced tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions, a huge bunch of parsley and mint and a refreshing lemon-y vinaigrette. This salad pairs so well with meat because its freshness balances the richness of the meat. I served this with our lamb on Easter (recipe coming soon!) and it was a big hit, even with those skeptics who said "I don't like quinoa.” I'm in the business of changing minds, people. If you've never tried tabbouleh I challenge you to order it next time you go out for Greek food. Better yet, make a batch yourself. I promise, it won't go to waste. Opa!

Quinoa Tabbouleh (adapted from allrecipes.com)

1 1/2 c. quinoa
3 c. water
2 t. salt, divided
1/4 + 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 pint cherry tomatoes, finely diced
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced
1/2 c. green onions, thinly sliced
1 c. fresh parsley, finely minced (I used my food processor to mince my parsley and mint)
1/2 c. fresh mint, finely minced (I used my food processor to mince my parsley and mint)

In a medium sauce pan cook the quinoa in the water along with 1/2 t. salt according to package directions. Allow to cool completely. Place the quinoa in a large bowl and add the remaining 1 1/2 t. salt, olive oil, lemon juice, tomatoes, cucumber, green onion, parsley and mint and stir to combine. Serve at room temperature. I made this the day before but set it out a few hours before we ate.


10 servings (179 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: