Sunday, January 15, 2017

Creamy and Smoky Chipotle Pork Chops

If you're anything like me, the thought of cooking post-holiday season is a daunting, if not maddening, thought. You've spent countless hours planning menus, shopping, hauling groceries into your house and cooking food to transport all over town to holiday parties. Oh, and by the way, your family still wants dinner every night in the midst of it all. I am so over it by the time the holidays are over that I want to hibernate for at least a week. But guess what, YOUR PESKY FAMILY STILL WANTS DINNER (they can be so demanding). So, once I've come out of hiding I start trolling my friends' Pinterest pages (hi, Coco!) to find new, quick and easy dinner ideas. Lo and behold I came across this little gem and it did not disappoint. Just make a quick rub for pork chops with spices you probably already have in your pantry, whisk up a pan sauce and boom, main dish in a snap. I made the spice rub the day before and whisked up the sauce to store in my fridge to cut down my prep time the day of. The result was a slightly spicy, creamy pork chop that packs a punch of flavor for not a lot of effort. 

Now let's talk about our key ingredients, shall we? The creamy element to this dish comes from coconut milk. If you eat curry you are probably familiar with coconut milk. It is the perfect addition to this dish because it tames the spiciness of the chipotle chile which is the spicy element.  Chipotle chiles (or, smoked jalapenos) can be found in the Mexican food aisle of your local grocery store.  They come in a can with adobo sauce surrounding them so I usually fish out the one I need then individually bag the rest of them in snack bags and freeze them for future use. They keep in the freezer forever and are actually easier to finely dice when they are frozen! Make sure to add extra cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice just before you serve - the freshness they add is revolutionary!

Now, I know what you're probably thinking at this point...what sides am I supposed to serve with this, Kitch? I just came off the holiday rush and now you want me to plan a main dish AND sides? Rest assured, friends, I have ideas for you. For starters, saute up these sauteed brussels sprouts. They cook up in no time - especially if you buy frozen baby brussels sprouts and thaw them first. The other side I whipped up was mashed cauliflower. This recipe requires a little more leg work BUT can be made ahead and stored in the fridge until time to eat - I heated it up in the microwave while I sauteed the pork chops and brussels sprouts. So friends, I just want you to know that I am here for you in these trying, post-holiday times. Make these pork chops as soon as possible and revel in the fact that you did it! Tomorrow night you can order pizza because you made dinner tonight! We can do hard things together, people. It's going to be a great year!

Creamy and Smoky Chipotle Pork Chops (adapted from wholesomelicious.com)

1 T. chili powder
1 t. paprika
1/2 t. cumin
1/2 t. salt 
1/4 t. garlic powder 
6 center cut pork chops (about 5 oz. each)
1 T. olive oil
1 c. light coconut milk
1 small chipotle chile pepper, finely minced
1 t. liquid smoke
1/4 c. chopped cilantro (plus extra for garnish)
Juice of 1/2 a lime

In a small bowl combine the chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt and garlic powder. Sprinkle the rub over the pork chops (both sides, please) then set aside to come to room temperature for about 20 minutes. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the pork chops to the pan and cook for four minutes on each side. While the pork chops are cooking whisk together the coconut milk, chipotle chile pepper, liquid smoke and 1/4 c. cilantro. Add to the pan with the pork chops and turn them to coat completely in the sauce. Allow to cook and reduce for 4 minutes more then finish with extra cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice. Serve immediately from the pan (because we don't need anymore stinking dirty dishes, okay?)

6 servings (231 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: