Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Mexican Macaroni Salad

A couple of weekends ago I spent the weekend in Omaha with my kids at my awesome friends' Keith and Amber's house.  They are fantastic hosts (I mean, they take us in for an entire weekend folks!)  When we go there (which is several times a year) I always try to cook a lot for the families (it's the least I can do.)  Amber is a great cook too and we love to cook together when we have the time.  I made this Mexican Macaroni Salad as a side for our dinner on Friday night and we ate it the whole weekend and there was STILL some leftover when I went home on Sunday!  It makes a TON!  This is perfect for the end of summer bbq you have coming up and everyone in the family will love it.  Even Keith and Amber's 10 month old ate this!  Enjoy!

Mexican Macaroni Salad (adapted from foodnetwork.com)

1 lb. elbow macaroni cooked in well salted water according to package directions then drained and rinsed in cold water
2 ears corn, cooked and corn kernels shaved off the cob (try this method for cooking the corn - you will be amazed that it really works!)
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 c. sliced black olives
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved (quartered if large)
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1 c. jarred salsa (I used Herdez mild)
1 c. light sour cream
1/4 c. mayonnaise (I used canola mayo)
1 t. cumin
2 t. salt
1 t. pepper

Place the cooled macaroni in a large serving bowl and add the corn, black beans, black olives, tomatoes, and green onion.  Set aside.  In a medium bowl whisk together the salsa, sour cream, mayonnaise, cumin, salt and pepper.  Pour the salsa mixture over the pasta and veggies and toss to combine.  This can be made ahead and stored in the fridge.  

12 servings (256 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

And P.S. - this picture was taken on my phone because I forgot my camera (you live and you learn!)  Then there's also the fact that there were FIVE hungry kids waiting to eat this while I was taking the picture. 

No comments: