Friday, August 30, 2013

Caprese Grilled Cheese

Oh. my. stars.  This sandwich takes sandwiches to a whole new level.  A new galaxy, even.  Hearty multi grain bread with juicy, ripe tomatoes, salty basil pesto and creamy mozzarella cheese.  Plus, it is quick and easy to put together.  I have died and gone to sandwich heaven!

Caprese Grilled Cheese (Shelly Redmond)

2 slices of really good multi grain bread
Extra virgin olive oil (for drizzling the bread)
2 slices reduced fat mozzarella cheese
3-4 thickly cut tomato slices
Salt
1 T. basil pesto (use jarred or make your own.  Here's my recipe)

Drizzle one side of one piece of bread with a little bit of olive oil and place oiled side down in a skillet.  Place mozzarella slices on top, staggering as needed to cover the entire surface area of the bread and then layer on the tomatoes and sprinkle lightly with salt to season.  Spread the pesto on the remaining slice of bread and place pesto side down on top of the tomatoes.  Drizzle the top with a little bit of olive oil and grill at medium heat for about 2-3 minutes per side until bread is browned and crunchy.  Enjoy!

1 serving, and trust me, you will not want to share (487 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com (this calorie count will vary greatly depending on the bread you use.  I did not want to skimp on bread for this so I didn't!)

No comments: