Thursday, August 29, 2013

Pimento Cheese

So, today is the first installment of what I will call "throwback Thursday".  What is throwback Thursday, you ask?  Well, on my blog it will mean that, on some Thursdays (not all, just some) I will share a recipe that I remember eating as a kid or that I make now but it was popular a while back.  Think, salisbury steak (which, by the way, you can find right here.)  It could be that I will make it exactly as I remember having it as a kid (ah, nostalgia) or that I will update it and share an even better version of what we all remember.  I will start today with pimento cheese.  Ah, pimento cheese.  I remember eating this lovely concoction at my grandparents' house on white bread.  We also stuffed it in celery at Thanksgiving!  Remember the cheese came in a cute little glass jar?  (Which, incidentally, my mom saved and used for juice glasses!)  I just love my mom.  Anyway, enjoy this updated, homemade version of pimento cheese and come back soon for the next installment of "throwback Thursday"!

Pimento Cheese (adapted from allrecipes.com)

2 c. (8 oz.) extra sharp cheddar cheese (this is the right time to grate your own cheese, folks.  I love the convenience of pre-grated cheese but this is not the place for it.)
8 oz. whipped cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
1/4 t. onion powder
1 (4 oz.) jar diced pimentos, drained

Place the cheddar cheese, cream cheese, mayonnaise, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, onion powder and pimento into the large bowl of a mixer.  Beat at medium speed until thoroughly combined.  

Serve with crackers or veggies.  If you make it ahead and refrigerate it you might want to pull it out an hour or so before serving to let it soften a bit. 

Makes 14 (1/4 c.) servings (208 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: