Saturday, August 31, 2013

Lemon Pepper Chicken with Artichoke Relish

If you are looking for a quick, easy, low cal, impressive entree I have one for you today!  This lemon pepper chicken and artichoke relish are super easy to make, the portions are HUGE and the calories are LOW (did I mention that already?)  Feel free to make the relish ahead of time and store in the fridge until time to eat.  The chicken can be either baked or grilled - I baked mine this time because "A Boy Named Sous" wasn't home in time to grill it and I had already tasted the artichoke relish and I could. not. wait. for him to get home, fire up the grill and grill the chicken.  Have I mentioned I have no patience?  Well, I have no patience!  Enjoy!

Lemon Pepper Chicken with Artichoke Relish (adapted from iowagirleats.com)

For the chicken:

6 (5-6 oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 t. extra virgin olive oil
2 T. lemon pepper seasoning
Salt, to taste (check your lemon pepper seasoning for salt - you may not want to add salt if it already contains salt.  I just said the word salt one too many times.  Salt, salt, salt!)

For the artichoke salsa:

1 (15 oz.) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped
2 T. capers, drained
1/4 c. red onion, finely diced
1 roma tomato, diced
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 T. red wine vinegar
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 t. dried oregano
1/2 t. dried thyme
1/8 t. crushed red pepper
Salt and pepper, to taste

For serving:

6 oz. baby spinach
4 oz. fat free feta cheese

For the chicken:

Preheat the oven to 375.  Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and place the chicken breasts on the baking sheet.  Season the chicken breasts with olive oil, lemon pepper and salt (if using.)  Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes.

For the artichoke salsa:

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and stir well to combine.  

For serving:  

Place 1 oz. baby spinach on a dinner plate and top with a chicken breast.  Pile on a scoop of the artichoke relish and garnish with feta cheese, dividing them evenly among the 6 chicken breasts.  I served this with my Lemony Brown Rice but it would also be delicious with mashed potatoes!  If you have leftovers I would wait to put the chicken on top of the spinach until you are ready to eat.  No one wants to eat soggy spinach!

6 servings (245 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: