Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Spanish Yellow Rice

As you know, I am always looking for new sides for taco night.  I made this recipe for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it was so good I made it again the next week!  It's that good!  For me to make it two weeks in a row it has to be easy too!  Feel free to add peas for a little green if you want.  As you know, I'm not a fan!  I used cilantro instead!  The pretty yellow color is achieved with the use of turmeric which has been substituted for the more traditional saffron.  Saffron is so expensive and really doesn't add that much flavor here so turmeric is a great substitute!  I hope you enjoy!

Spanish Yellow Rice (adapted from food.com)

2 t. extra virgin olive oil
2 T. yellow onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 c. long grain white rice
2 1/4 c. vegetable broth (could also use chicken broth or water)
1 t. salt
1/2 t. turmeric
1/4 c. cilantro, chopped

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium high heat and add the shallots and garlic.  Cook, stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes.  Add the rice, broth, salt and turmeric and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and simmer until tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.  Fluff rice with a fork, add cilantro and serve! 

6 servings (182 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: