Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Crock Pot Pernil

I don't think I could survive life without my slow cooker.  In the grand scheme of things it is probably my most loved inanimate object.  And why wouldn't it be?  I mean, you throw in some ingredients, turn it on, walk away and when you come back the ingredients are turned into a delicious meal!  Boo-yah!  Well, today I have an extremely versatile recipe for you.  Pernil.  One little word which is Puerto Rican for DELICIOUS!  I'm kidding.  Only not.  This is delicious and pernil is Puerto Rican.  Anyway, I served this pork as is with a side of Fiesta Lime Rice and some avocado slices but you could do any number of things with this pork.  Tacos, enchiladas, tostadas, burritos, sandwiches, salads, etc.  Once you taste it you will see the versatility of it.  Put it together the night before and allow the meat to marinate and it will be even better.  Enjoy!

Crock Pot Pernil (adapted from skinnytaste.com)

2 lb. pork loin roast, trimmed of all fat
5 garlic cloves, smashed
2 t. salt
1/4 t. dried oregano
1 1/2 t. cumin
1/8 t. black pepper
1/4 c. orange juice
Juice of 2 limes

Place the pork roast in a 4 or 6 quart slow cooker that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  Add the remaining ingredients and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-6 hours.  Shred with two forks and serve.  

6 servings (200 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: