Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Arugula, Quinoa, Chicken and Fennel Salad with Lemon Mint Vinaigrette

I find it fitting to start the new year out with a salad.  I don't know about you but I have definitely overeaten this holiday season!  I think it's just the nature of the beast.  It starts on Thanksgiving and goes right on through to new year's eve!  So, today I share not only a salad, but my FAVORITE salad in the whole world.  There is a restaurant in Kansas City called The Mixx and I had this salad there once and just knew I could recreate it at home so, I wrote down all the ingredients, did some recipe testing and voila!  Here it is!  The peppery bite of the arugula, the awesome texture of the quinoa, the roasted chicken and the licorice-ness of the the fennel make this salad just perfect.  Add the lemon mint vinaigrette and I know you will love it!  For a vegetarian version feel free to leave out the chicken!  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Arugula, Quinoa, Chicken and Fennel Salad with Lemon Mint Vinaigrette (Shelly Redmond)

For the salad:


1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 t. extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
1/2 c. quinoa, cooked according to package directions and cooled
10 oz. baby arugula
1 large head fennel, core removed and thinly sliced
12 radishes, thinly sliced
8 T. parmesan cheese

For the dressing:

6 T. extra virgin olive oil
6 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 t. salt 
1/2 t. pepper
2 t. fresh mint, finely chopped

Preheat the oven to 375.  Place the chicken breast(s) on a baking sheet that has been covered with foil and drizzle with olive oil.  Season with salt and pepper and roast for 
40-45 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.  Allow the chicken to cool completely.

In a large bowl combine the cooled chicken, quinoa, arugula, fennel, radishes and parmesan cheese and set aside while you prepare the dressing.

In a small container with a tight fitting lid combine all dressing ingredients and shake to combine.  Pour over the salad and toss until evenly coated.

I often make this salad in four separate containers then toss with the dressing at the last minute to make a quick and delicious lunch.  For this method I would put the arugula in the container and then pile everything else on top.  It will keep in the fridge (dressing on the side) for 2 days.

4 servings (521 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: