Tuesday, February 11, 2014

White Chicken Chili

If you're anything like me you're wondering, IS WINTER EVER GOING TO END???!!!  I try not to complain about the weather, I really do, but it has been so stinking cold here that I am just tired of it!  The only thing that makes these long, cold days bearable for me is a nice bowl of hot chili.  Chili really is a great meal for a variety of reasons.  It warms your belly and your heart, it's easy to make, it can feed a crowd and it's relatively inexpensive!  This is a recipe that I've had in my recipe box for a long time and I have no idea where it came from.  Before I moved out of my parents' house I copied down a bunch of recipes from my mom's recipe box and this recipe was among them!  The original recipe did not call for chili powder but I added some because, in my opinion, it's not chili without CHILI powder.  The chili powder makes the end result a reddish white color so it may not be a "traditional" white chicken chili recipe but it is good!  Enjoy!

White Chicken Chili


1 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb. ground chicken 
3 c. chicken broth (less if you like your chili less soup-y)
2 T. cilantro, chopped (plus extra for serving, if desired)
2 T. freshly squeezed lime juice
1 t. ground cumin
1 t. ground coriander
2 t. chili powder
1/2 t. dried oregano
1/4 t. crushed red pepper flakes
1 t. salt
1 (15 oz.) can white shoepeg corn, drained
2 (15 oz.) cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed
Grated cheddar cheese for serving (if desired)

In a large soup pot heat the olive oil over medium heat.  Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent.  Add the ground chicken and cook for 8-10 minutes until the chicken is broken up and cooked through.  Add the chicken broth, cilantro, lime juice, cumin, coriander, chili powder, oregano, crushed red pepper, salt, corn and beans.  Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.  Let simmer for 30-45 minutes, taste for seasoning adding more salt if needed and serve with extra cilantro and shredded cheese if desired.

4 servings (369 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: