Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Huevos Rancheros in Tortilla Cups

I am so excited to share this Taco Tuesday recipe with you.  I am almost giddy!  Okay, I AM giddy!  This recipe has been in my mind for a long time and I finally executed it the other night.  I adapted this from a recipe I found on foodnetwork.com to make them in muffin cups instead of just eggs and beans on top of a tortilla.  The result was fabulous and even my non-egg-eating 8 year old ate 1 1/2 of these! Did I mention I was giddy?!  Feel free to use jarred salsa if you like but the salsa recipe really is easy and SO delicious!  Enjoy!

Huevos Rancheros in Tortilla Cups (adapted from foodnetwork.com)

For the salsa:

2 roma tomatoes, halved
1 small white onion, halved
1 jalapeno pepper, finely minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 t. hot sauce (I used Frank's)
1 t. ground cumin
Salt, to taste
2 t. extra virgin olive oil

For the beans:

1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 clove garlic, smashed
1/2 c. water
1/2 t. salt

To assemble:


Cooking spray
6 (6") corn tortillas, warmed (I wrapped mine in a damp paper towel and microwaved them for 20 seconds)
6 large eggs

Salt and pepper
6 T. crumbled feta cheese

For the salsa:

In a food processor (or with a hand grater), grate the tomatoes and onion.  Add the jalapeno, garlic, hot sauce, cumin and salt.  Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat and add the olive oil.  Pour the salsa into the skillet and fry in the oil until it thickens slightly, about 3 minutes.  Remove the salsa to a bowl.

For the beans:

Add the beans to the same skillet and add the smashed garlic, water and salt.  Cook over low heat until warmed through and thickened, smashing the beans slightly with a fork.

To assemble:

Preheat the oven to 400.  Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray and place the warm tortillas in each of six individual spaces in the muffin tin.  Don't worry if they break a little bit although you don't want them totally broken up.  Divide the beans among the tortilla cups.  Put about 2 T. of the salsa on top of each cup (you will have salsa leftover - just save it for serving!)  Carefully break one egg on top of each cup and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Spray the tops of the tortillas with a little cooking spray (this will help them brown.)  Bake for 11-15 minutes (depending on how done you like your eggs - I like the whites done but the yokes still runny so I baked mine about 13 minutes.)  Let sit for 5 minutes then carefully remove with an offset spatula or butter knife.  Top with feta cheese and serve!

6 servings (238 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

No comments: