Monday, November 3, 2014

Basic Fried Rice

One of my favorite things to do is spend a day with my mom.  We might start out at Panera, drinking coffee, eating a bagel or a scone and, of course, solving all of life's problems! Then it could be on to shopping, scrapbooking or working on a project for one of my kids (have I mentioned that I made one of my son's Halloween costumes this year after not having sewn for, I don't know, NINE years?!)  Bless my mom.  The woman is full of patience and love for her kids and grandkids.  She barely left my side as I was trying to decipher that pattern.  

Sometimes if we are out and about we get hungry for lunch and we decide to head to our favorite Chinese restaurant to split cashew or almond chicken (yes, we ate a scone or bagel earlier which is why we are splitting!) along with a side of fried rice.  If you are making Chinese food, knowing how to make a basic fried rice is essential.  Fried rice is an excellent jumping off point because it can serve as a side or main dish.  I make my basic fried rice with eggs and frozen peas but feel free to change up the vegetable with anything you have on hand!  Also, use any rice you have.  I used brown but you could use white or even basmati or jasmine.  You could also add cooked shrimp, chicken or tofu to this recipe to make it a main dish.  Make it your own but eat it with your mom, your husband or anyone else you love.  You'll be glad you did!

Basic Fried Rice (adapted from skinnytaste.com)

3 c. instant brown rice
Cooking spray
3 large eggs
6 large green onions, sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 c. frozen peas
1/3 c. soy sauce, plus more if desired

Cook the brown rice in a medium saucepan according to the package directions.  After the rice is cooked, spray a large skillet with cooking spray, heat over medium heat and add the eggs.  Scramble the eggs for a minute or two until just cooked through.  Remove the eggs to a small bowl.  

Place the pan back on the heat, spray again with cooking spray and add the onions, garlic and peas.  Saute about a minute, then add the cooked rice.  Add the soy sauce and stir to combine.  Stir fry over medium high heat for several minutes until the rice is lightly browned and a little crunchy in places.  Add the eggs to the rice and stir to combine.  Taste and add more soy sauce if desired.  Serve alongside your favorite Chinese dish!

6 servings (212 calories each serving) according to my calculator on loseit.com

Serve this with Orange ChickenHoney ChickenGeneral Tso's ChickenBlack Pepper ChickenCashew ChickenCrock Pot Cashew ChickenCrock Pot Beef With Broccoli or Crock Pot Mongolian Beef!  

Also, be sure to check out my other fried rice recipes for inspiration:  Edamame Fried RicePineapple Fried Rice and Pork Fried Rice.

No comments: